Wednesday, May 9, 2012

special friends

I serve as an adviser to a group of self-advocates and I am not sure I always like that.  I mean, I like that I am doing it but don't always like what I have to do in that role.  They were making plans for some things they wanted to do as a group.  There were great ideas....go to a movie, learn to paint pictures, have a picnic, start their own newspaper, play bingo with prizes....great ideas.  Then comes the hard part, helping them understand what is needed to go to the movie or plan a picnic and watching some of their faces shout disappointment when the 'T' word is mentioned....transportation.  It is easy to ask for a donation or contribution but not so easy to find someone to drive them home  and the person drive themselves back.  Some of these round trips are over an hour. And what about the families....they don't have the gas money, don't have the time, don't drive at night, are too busy, don't want to go out of their way and some are so old they don't drive themselves.  And me, I just put on my road warrior hat,  load up my car and away we go.  Great ideas just have to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics